11.28.2009

"Take a chance you stupid…"

I’m going to take control in 2010 and start following my dreams. That’s my resolution. For the past year, I’ve been safe, preparing and being inspired. Now, it’s time to gamble a bit.

The less risky form that my resolution will take is to travel more. I already have a short trip to Mexico scheduled for early January, and I am committed to visiting two friends on their own turf in MA and NC. And of course, there is the trip to London and beyond that I keep talking about.

The potentially riskier dream that has only recently entered my crazy head is acting. As you know, I’ve been looking for a creative outlet and I think that acting is the right fit for me. On a side note, I’ve decided that I will finish a first draft of my novel by the end of the year, so that I can wholly commit creatively to acting.

I’ve already check out a book from the library (!) and talked to a coworker who is an experienced actor. I want to give it a serious try so I’m going to divert some of my savings to getting headshots and to taking a few acting classes (starting with the Actor's Center). I’ve always wanted to be an extra and I think that I should give actual acting a try as well. It will be a diverting hobby that, with a lot of hard work and a little luck, could lead to something even more fulfilling than I could ever imagine.

I know that it is a pipe dream to even begin to think that I could be a real actress. I don’t know if I have any real talent. And I know that thousands of people enroll in classes or move to LA and NYC every year in hopes of becoming the next big thing. What makes me any different? Perhaps, nothing. But why not throw my hat in the ring—or at least train as if I would? Now, I don’t plan on quitting my day job and moving to LA. But I think that this new path will lead to a lot of interesting experiences and stories that I’ll be able to share when I’m a content soccer mom.

I look forward to telling my mom over the holidays that I want to be an actress after months of appearing set on my current career track. The conversation should be sort of like when I said I was going to quit my secure nonprofit job to join the Peace Corps. I know that she will ultimately be supportive but it will be interesting to see how she reacts to yet another of my revelations. It’s crazy that I’ve become increasingly flighty with age. I was always the dependable, straight-laced daughter who had everything planned out. Now that I’m older and recognize that life is a bit more random, I want to take advantage of my youth and freedom to be selfish and pursue a few of my child-hood/ish dreams.

2 comments:

Organica said...

1)I love your acting idea. If I were in DC I would do it with you (if you wanted me to!). My dream has always been to be the star on a TV crime drama, but in reality I think I'd be better suited for playing a goofy sidekick.

2) I'm psyched that you're committed to visiting MA! Pretty much any time next semester is good - you just might have to be willing to brave the cold!

3) Do you think you'll really finish your novel draft by January?? That would be awesome. You could make December your own NaNoWriMo. I want to read it!! We should get our little writing group started up again.

Hippo Q. said...

1) I'd love a partner at workshops and castings!

2) I am not happy about the cold. But I really want to see Boston.

3) I think I will finish writing the STORY by the end of 2009 (I'm aiming for at least 150 pages, and I have about 50 now). It won't be a finished and edited novel for a long time after that. I will want to sit on it for a while before I do a major edit. Of course, you'll be the first person I call when it is time for readers.