12.03.2009

Subletters Suck

My roommate, who will be out of town for work and vacation all of December, decided to get a subletter for her room. I was fine with her getting a subletter and very hands-off during her search process. I figured that it would only be for one month and as long as the person didn’t steal our stuff or trash the house, I could live with whoever she chose. Boy, was I wrong.

It’s only been a few days, but I am itching for our subletter to leave. I don’t know why he irks me so much. It’s probably the fact that he’s interrupted the house’s routine—my routine. No longer can I come home from work to a quiet house before my other roommates make it home around 730. He’s always there. No longer can I sit in front of the cable TV and eat my dinner. He’s always there watching basketball. Tuesday and yesterday, I asked for his help in picking up the mouse traps. He declined. I’m proud that I was able successfully got rid of the smashed critter on my own but I was furiously puzzled that he wasn’t helpful. Isn’t that what males do for squeamish females like me?

I also find him weird. On the first two nights, I tried to make small talk. It was so awkward that I eventually gave up. I’m not the most sociable person out there, so I won’t talk just for the sake of making you feel comfortable and welcome if you are not taking the bait.

He and my other male roommate seem to get along fine. So it’s just me with the problem (per usual…).

I am a creature of habit and familiarity. Anything or anyone that diverges from my sense of normalcy tends to be instantly disliked, distrusted, and even hated (I’ll comment my reaction to my new workmates some other time). I’ve already started counting down the days until he departs and my old roommate returns. I hope that I am able to keep my cool and my distance until them.

3 comments:

Organica said...

sorry about your sucky subletter. why is he subletting - is he working? trying to find a permanent place? i'm not surprised that he watches TV all the time, but it's totally weird that he wouldn't help you with the mouse traps. don't let him take advantage - he's in YOUR home and you're the boss. although, i guess if he's paying full rent, it's technically equally his home for a month...hrm.

Give us an update! Have you had any decent conversations w/ him?

Hippo Q. said...

What really pisses me off is him leaving dirty dishes in the sick. After watching his dishes pile up over a few days, I gently reminded him of our mice problem and the recommendation of the exterminator to keep the kitchen clean. He gave me some bs about not leaving things in the sink for more than one day. Sure... At this point, I've given up. In 1.5 weeks I'll be in ATL and when I return he'll be gone. As an immature, passive aggressive person, I'm choosing to ignore him altogether until I depart.

O said...

new post, new post! ;) i need ever-more things to distract me from getting work done