9.16.2009

Back in D.C.

I am back to my routine in D.C. I had a really great time in Atlanta. I am very glad that I went home as I was reminded of the importance of putting family and friends first--something I haven't been doing much of lately.

The ride down to ATL was eventless but I enjoyed spending time with my high school buddy and his wife. I definitely plan to spend some time with them, especially as they live only a few blocks away from me.

As expected, my friend's mom's funeral service was heartbreaking. It was a little nontraditional as there weren't any religious references and the time was spent with folks sharing stories and memories. It was simple, moving, informal and classy. It was the sort of service that I want when it is my time.

The rest of the weekend was spent hanging out with my friend and the rest of the gang. It was a lovely, unplanned reunion that reminded all of us of how much we love, care and support each other.

As a special bonus, I also got to see my grandmother--who is still recovering from a series of minor heart attacks this year. She'll be 91 next month.

Family and friends. It's something that an independent-antisocial Hippo tends to take for granted. I think that might finally change.

1 comment:

Organica said...

I was sorry to hear about your friend's mom, but I am glad you got to spend some time in Atlanta. It sounds like it was a soul-refreshing trip.

Focusing on friends and family is a really good idea. I need to do the same. It's a way to make your life completely rewarding regardless of the presence of a S.O.

P.S. Even though I've been lax about commenting, I check your blog every few days!