1.20.2007

"Hello. My name is Hippo Q. and I read chick lit."

I didn’t start reading chick lit until I finished graduate school. Before then, I rarely had the free time or the will to sit and leisurely read a book that wasn’t related to my coursework. Since I graduated and moved to an apartment a mere 2 blocks from the public library, I’m a fairly avid chick lit reader. Of course, I read the classics as well, generally alternating between chick-lit and something along the lines of Dickens, Hardy or Austen to stay engaged. But I feel somewhat ashamed of my interest in such frivolous, and sometimes poorly written and predictable reading.

A few days ago, a coworker noted that chick-lit and romance novels are pretty much the same thing. I beg to differ...to a point. Chick-lit, to me, is a minor step up from the more romance/sex focus of romance novels. Most chick lit has romance and sex in the plot, but, unlike romance novels, they also include a more in-depth exploration of the female main character’s navigation of the professional, personal and social demands of being a “modern” 20- or 30- something in the city. And I can relate to that.

So for now, my bookshelf will continue to be stocked with an assortment of both the classics and chick lit like: The Nanny Diaries, The House of Mirth, Everyone Worth Knowing, A Tale of Two Cities, Bergdorf Blondes, and Bleak House. BTW, I'd recommend them all (yep, I read a lot in my free time).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. My name is George Felix Allen and I read man lit.

As a manly man, I only read manly books. For example, Manliness by Harvey Mansfield, professor at Harvard. He provides us with such universal truths as:

"One has only to think of Jane Austen to be assured that women have a sense of humor, distributed in lesser quantities to lesser brains."

"women are the weaker sex"

"now that women are equal, they should be able to accept being told that they aren't, quite"

"There are worse things than being a sex object."


Watch him assert his manliness in an interview with Stephen Colbert.

Jason W said...

And I thought that you were someone I knew... Oh well, your blog looks nice!

Good job!


MUSE, SVKJAP, JAWA1802, JASON

P.S. I am not sexist...
P.P.S. Did you visit my other blogs?
P.P.P.S. Visit mine again - I got the music to play automacticly.
P.P.P.P.S. Sorry for all the P.S.'s.
P.P.P.P.P.S. Really
P.P.P.P.P.P.S. Tell me when I get annoying.