1.10.2007

Networking on the Hill

Last night, I attended a Hill reception hosted by a few green groupsto welcome the new members of Congress. I had a good time and it was a great opportunity to chat with folks from other organizations. In general, I avoided approaching the members in attendance as they were usually surrounded by folks and I didn't know exactly how to approach them. But, thanks to a new friend's encouragement I did get a chance to say hello and shake hands with Jim Moran (D-VA-8).

I think I did an okay job networking at the event. Networking is not my best skill, but it is something that I value and hope to do more of in order to increase my contacts within the community. My usual minimum goal when I attend such a function is to give out one card, forcing me to meet at least one new person per event. Sure, it's a bit nerve-wracking but it ensures that I feel a sense of accomplishment for my after-work time.

No comments: