1.15.2007

Let the Dream live on - MLK Day 2007

As today is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of remembrance and celebration, I figured that it was only right that today’s entry talked about the importance of his beliefs and contributions to America and the rest of the world.

It’s pretty amazing that it was only a few decades ago that life in America was so different. The population was segregated and our culture was separated. As an African American girl, I wouldn’t have had all the opportunities for advancement as I do now. I wouldn’t have had the freedom to eat, travel, work, live, or just sit wherever I wanted. Life would have been limited by the way I looked or didn’t look. Things are definitely different now and we have MLK and all the others who worked (and continue to work) so hard for equality, love, and acceptance to thank.

But things aren’t entirely perfect. People around the world continue to be routinely limited by their skin color, gender, religious background, socioeconomic status, disability, orientation, etc. It just isn’t fair.

And of course, there are those who take the sacrifices of prior generations all for granted. That’s truly unfortunate.

I am very thankful for all that MLK and my forefathers/mothers did during their lifetimes to ensure that I can have opportunities and dreams that aren’t limited by anything but my own determination.

No comments: