4.22.2007

Earth Day 2007

Another Earth Day is upon us and I ask, what has really changed since last year?

I acknowledge that there seems to be increased dialogue and interest in environmental issues, particularly climate change. Yet, will all the talk and apparent concern translate to real solutions (most of which cut at our Western, consumer lifestyle)? I am hopeful about the future, but I’ve followed environmental issues long enough to be a bit more skeptical and at times, pessimistic that we will resolve our environmental issues, particularly as they require a fundamental change (paradigm shift!) in they ways that we think, live, and interact.

This Earth Day, I will renew my dedication to conservation and ecological respect, and most importantly, to discovering how we can reach the elusive shift that will help us more easily and fully mitigate our environmental and social problems.

No comments: