4.24.2007

Tuesday Rundown

There is so much happening right now for me to report, but I don't have the time or the will to sit down and really hash out all the news. But, I will provide a rundown of the basics, in bullet point form:

  • The gym in my neighborhood finally opened. I think it's really nice and I look forward to swimming laps in the pool—once I finally buy a swimsuit. I took my first aerobics class at the gym last night and it was a lot of fun. I feel great today and I look forward to checking out the other classes over the next week. Also, I've been hired as a front desk attendant at the gym. I start this weekend, which will be the official end of my social life. I know that having a part-time job will force me to be more disciplined and organized. I look forward to the challenge and the extra money I'll earn for my summer trip.
  • Ah, my summer trip. It is almost certain that I will travel to Paris this July with my mom. I'm super excited about the trip and quite busy researching airfare, itineraries and hotels. It will be my first trip abroad since heading to Moscow as an exchange student in high school. I anticipate that this trip will motivate me to pursue the Peace Corps, TEFL, and other options for living and working abroad while I'm still "young."
  • Last week, a report was released that linked the consumption of salt to a variety of cardiovascular health risks beyond high blood pressure. This is particularly self-gratifying for me, a true salt warrior, who's been complaining about the oversaltification of packaged and restaurant food since college. Now, I have scientific data to support my charge that salt, though natural and necessary for bodily processes, can be unhealthy if consumed in the excess.
  • The weather has been simply marvelous in D.C. over the past few days. But my allergies have been unkind, so that I haven't been able to enjoy the weather as much as I'd like. I know that I have no reason to complain about the pollen count in D.C. when my hometown of Atlanta struggles with counts that are way off the charts. For example, in late March, Atlanta had a pollen count near 6,000 particles per cubic meter -- a level of 120 is considered extremely high. It would probably help if I bought some new allergy medicine and stopped popping expired pills. But I'm convinced that the medicine expiration date is meaningless, merely indicating that the medicine will be as less powerful or effective when expired but not harmful.

No comments: