12.11.2007

Cake at DAR

Last night, I attended the Cake concert at DAR Constitution Hall. Although they didn't play "The Distance" or "Let Me Go" (my two favorite songs), it was a great show and I wiggled and sang my heart out. The highlight of their performance, besides the hits, was their rendition of Kenny Roger's "Ruby." I haven't heard that song in a long time and I didn't realize that it is about a disabled vet.

Consitution Hall is such a weird place for a concert. Sitting down in the amphitheatre before the show, I felt as if I was about to hear a boring lecture on gun law. It is not at all inducive for rocking out to a band and the nazi-security guards were major buzz kills. We kept trying to get into the aisles to dance--instead of standing between the cramped row of seats, but the guards stopped us all. It was so weird to be at a concert where people are sitting and the security folks won't let you dance in the aisles.

I saw Celia Cruz perform at DAR a few years ago. It was an amazing show, and it was surreal that we were all sitting down--deterred by the guards despite the infectious music. After a few songs, we finally got up and invaded the aisles to dance. En masse the guards can't do anything. There was a need for an aisle invasion last night. But I settled for dancing in my row.

Last night made me really appreciate such live music venues as the 9:30 Club, Black Cat, and Velvet Lounge. Those place allow people to really get into the music and dance and jump along to the rhythm. Hmm...I think it's time for another show.

No comments: