4.17.2009

Fine Lines

I see them.

A few around my eyes and a growing collection on my forehead. They say that "black don't crack" but I am seeing evidence of major, future wrinkles.

Since I turn 28 in a few weeks, I guess it is okay for me to start using wrinkle creams but I don't know if I will ever opt for Botox, skin rejuvenation, a face lift, or whatever else will be on the market when I hit 40.

I like to think that I am a low-maintenance, natural woman who embraces her imperfections, but the impact of aging on a woman's body is too much for me. I don't want saggy boobs, a flabby neck, a hunchback, frown lines, or sunspotted skin. But I know that it is on the way and there is little that I can do.

I don't want to be the weird lady who has clearly had work done--who can't smile or whose hands/neck/belly belies her plumped, radiant face. I want to love my wrinkles and see them as beautiful signs of maturity. But I don't know how to get out of our society’s youth-obsessed mentality so that I can embrace and love my aging/decaying body.

No comments: