8.15.2007

Speed Dating Recap

The speed dating event last night was quite interesting but mostly, overwhelming. I was nervous and excited when it first began but by the end of the night, I couldn't wait for it to be over. It is very taxing to have to introduce yourself to and engage with 26 other people for 4-minute intervals. I'm glad that I went, but I don't think that I'll try it again any time soon.

The majority of the guys were mid to late 30 year old professionals and the majority of the women were in their late 20s to mid 30s. Of course, there were a few notable exceptions. There were a few guys that I sincerely enjoyed talking to and checked off as a potential "match." But there was no one that I could see myself dating--just people that seemed like a lot of fun and that I'd be interested in hanging out with on a strictly platonic basis.

Of course, there were those painful interactions with guys who had no social skills (talked on and on, didn't talk at all, didn't listen, etc) and with guys who were clearly not interested. There were the annoying and amusing jokers who laughed throughout the entire four minutes, the touchy-feely guys who didn't pick up on my "keep your distance" body language, the guys who had a metrosexual/bisexual air, the nervous, boring guys who didn't dare stray from the event's topic (travel lovers), and the guys who quickly ran through the typical list of questions (e.g., where are you from, where do you work, what are your hobbies, blah, blah, blah).

My most memorable interaction was with this guy who spent the entire four minutes asking me dumb first date/pickup line questions. For example, "If you were stuck on a deserted island for five years and were able to pick five living people to come along, who would you pick?" Without hesitation, I choose Bill Clinton (charismatic figure that I'd vote for again in a heartbeat), David Beckham (hot athlete who could help me improve my soccer skills), Daniel Craig (hot actor who could share his craft with me...), and two of my high school friends (fun guys who would keep me entertained). I don't really remember his next lame question, but it will suffice to say that those sorts of conversations are a major turn off. But I guess he should get points for trying to be unique.

Speed dating is something I'd recommend to anyone who's curious about the concept and interested in meeting new guys. It definitely helps to go along with a friend or two, as they'll help you debrief afterwards and appreciate your nervous giggles (Thanks, Shimmy-Shimmy). As long as you don't expect to much and prepare yourself for an onslaught of varied interactions, it will be a memorable and worthwhile experience--even if you only leave with more fodder for girls night out dishing.

No comments: