2.12.2008

2008 Election, Step Two: Vote in the Primary II

This morning I voted for a woman to be the next President of the United States, and I can't stop smiling. It is so exciting that the democrats are given the choice between a woman and an African American nominee. It's something that I'd always hoped for as a child, and now I've had the chance to be a part of history in the making.

During lunch today, a coworker asked me why I voted for Clinton. I've been asked about my political leaning several times during the past year, and my choice and explanation have always been the same: Clinton because she has experience and will be able to navigate the craziness of national and global politics to get the job done. But more than that, it is a gut feeling. I'll admit that Obama's rhetoric appeals to my intellectual hopes and dreams, but Clinton appeals to my fundamental beliefs and emotions about fairness and progress.

My support of Clinton counters the results of so many voter profiles. In comparison to Clinton supporters, Obama supporters tend to be younger, more educated, more financial comfortable, and African American. Hmm... I'm young, well educated, financially stable and African American. Something beyond my gender has to explain why my beliefs align more strongly with Clinton.

I think my upbringing is the major culprit. My upbringing fostered a strong passion for such social issues as the environment, education and the welfare of children and the poor—things that I, along with the poorer, less educated, and older Americans, feel that Clinton is more likely to champion. Additionally, like many poor, less educated and older Americans, I feel a sense of kinship and trust in the Clinton clan brought forth by former President Bill's eight year reign. Finally, I don't buy the rhetoric. I've lived in D.C. and the world long enough to know the unbelievalbe comprises that have to be made to create incremental change. Of course, I'm still hopeful for the big paradigm shift (which Obama somewhat avows), but I'll accept and favor the less dramatic, though just as needed, progress that Clinton will bring.

No matter what, I'll support the Democratic nominee. Either candidate will help move this country in a new direction and ensure that "the forgotten" of the Bush Administration's reign are once again remembered.

No comments: