3.26.2008

Hill Interview #2

I got a second chance yesterday to prove that I'd be perfect for the hill. A few of Floyd's friends vouched for me regarding another LA position, and I got a call yesterday morning for an interview that afternoon.

Many thanks to the pep talk from Floyd last Friday. It went something like this:

"So many people are vouching for you and opening doors for you. Don't f&^% up. Last week, you let your nerves and unnecessary shyness, sabotage the interview—which would translate to you choking in other high-pressure situations on the Hill. You have to be 'on' all the time."

Floyd is right. Last week, I worked myself into a frenzy about the interview. I was a nervous-wreck and acted shy and insecure. It went okay but I know that I could've done better.

I made sure to bring out my true self yesterday and I think I nailed the interview. The Chief of Staff was understandably concerned about my lack of district ties and lack of Hill experience, but I think that I was effective in easing his concerns and letting him know that I will work hard and shine.

So now the wait begins. I will continue to apply to more jobs as nothing is certain. One issue that was raised during both the preliminary phone and in-person interview was if I was able to give a two-year commitment. If I get the job and it works out (i.e., I like it and they like me), it would really change a lot of things. 2009 should be a good year with lots of movement on the Hill. Even though it might reflect badly to rescind or defer the Peace Corps for two years, I would be able to enter as a PCV will no regrets and having had more time to perfect my Spanish. I really don't want to be a PCV at 30, but more than that, I don't want to be an entry level hill staffer at 30. The Hill is on my to-do list and if I'm given the opportunity to have a longer, more meaningful experience as a LA (rather than a short experience as a SA--which I was willing to do), then I will properly explain the situation to my Recruiter and take the longer term opportunity.

But we'll see. It's still quite possible that I'll be at my current job until next winter. It just feels so good to have my networking and other efforts start to pay off. And I sincerely hope that I'll be given a chance on the Hill.

This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine,
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine,
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

No comments: