5.29.2007

The Miss Universe Pageant

One more thing, I watched the last hour of Miss Universe last night. I used to religiously watch pageants when I was a kid, and even though I consider myself a modern feminist, they still intrigue me.

Miss Japan won, which was great. She was really pretty and seemed to have a great personality. I'm glad that Miss Brazil didn't win as she seemed to rather sure that she would, plus I'm quite sure that she had a wardrobe malfunction during the swimsuit section…

The big news, of course, was that Miss USA tripped and fell on her rear. I shuddered when it happened, because it was so bad. But she was real trooper to get up and continue to strut her stuff (albeit a bit more carefully) during the rest of the night, even as the audience jeered her (people are so mean!). I don't know if I should do this, but check out this USA Today article for a link to a clip of her fall. It was so unfortunate! But it could have been worse, she could have fallen face-first or ripped her gown.

No comments: