5.23.2008

Hill Perks

There are a lot of perks associated with working on the Hill. This week alone, I've had free lunches, free desserts, and a free back massage. I also got to see a few celebrities (Christy Turlington Burns is so beautiful and unbelievably polished in real life!). Of course, walking around the lovely Capitol and attending events full of Members are also perks.

The perks compensate (though not fully) for the less than ideal pay that staff assistants like myself earn. So, I welcome the perks and freebies--as I did as a broke college student wanting to get my money's worth out of GWU .

The goodies and events also help breakup the monotony of the normal work day. For example, I was away from my desk for most of Tuesday because I was helping out with an event . The events also provide a great opportunity to meet new people and learn what else is happening on the Hill outside of your office's bubble. For example, I just found out that the LoC has a ballroom dance club and a great cafeteria with a view. I am so there!

Next week is Memorial Day recess and I am really excited that I can work normal work hours (9-5). I have a lot of stuff to catch-up on and I hope to take full advantage of the downtime.

No comments: