5.19.2008

NYC Foreva!

I had such a hard time waking up this morning. I didn't sleep much all weekend and I feel so sluggish and icky today. But it was worth it. It was totally worth it.

This weekend, I fell in love with New York all over again. The energy and diversity of the city is phenomenal. I've been to NYC a few times and on those occasions I did the normal touristy stuff. That's why I'm so happy that I got to experience the NYC beyond Manhattan's tourist traps. Here are a few of the highlights

The Farm on Adderly in Brooklyn
I ate the best French toast that I've ever had at this place. Honestly, it was immaculate and amazing. Everyone cleaned their plates.

InSpaWorld in Flushing
"I can't breathe," I told A-M when we entered the 190+ degree sauna. I tried probably 5 out of the 6 saunas at this megaplex. No, I didn't hang out in the same-sex "naked pool" because I haven't overcome my body issues. Maybe next time.

Iggy's on the Upper East Side
I finally got to sing Carly Simon's "You're So Vain" with A-M. That song has been in my head for a while. I got out some residual angst over last summers's foray. Although A-M's and my rendition did not rile-up the crowd like L-M's songs, it was fun. Mostly, it felt really cool to be on stage with all eyes on me (okay, so probably no more than a dozen.).

Other highlights were riding on the 6 (JLo!) and in the front seat of the cab for a trip to Queens. Wow, these cabbies (and all the other drivers) don't seem to understand the concept of lanes and speed limits. And everyone is horn happy.

As we were leaving, I couldn't help but wonder how soon I could visit again. As was noted, I now know folks to crash with in Brooklyn and should start planning my next trip. Perhaps, in June when L-M2 go up for a birthday celebration. But most likely, I'll be up during the heat of August recess to check out Central Park, the area around Prospect Park, Christopher Street, Spanish Harlem (supposedly the birthplace of salsa)...I could go on!

I heart NYC, and I just can't wait to return!

No comments: