7.03.2008

Workday Update

All is well in my world. I hope to get more unpacking done during the long weekend and mentally prepare myself for being the sole Outgoing Mail Staff Asst until someone else is hired. I am quite concerned about the backlog in the interim but I'm sure that once the new person is on board, we'll be on track. It will be odd to be the veteran on my two-person team. I've only been here for 2 months, but I guess I've figured it all out by now. Or rather, I hope that I have.

My pal from back home arrives tonight. I've lived in DC for 9 years and this is the first time that a buddy (besides Floyd) has visited me. It's actually pretty sad, but whatever, I'm so happy that someone is coming to visit. Originally, we were supposed to take a road trip to Maine to visit friends. But my job's slow vacation accrue rate nixed that plan. So now, my friend will visit me on her way to visit others.

I look forward to taking her and my mother to the Hill to see the fireworks tomorrow and then having a girls' night out in Adams Morgan on Saturday. I'm pretty sure that my roomies will be up for joining us in a pre-game, so it should be a fun weekend.

I took my mother to Busboys and Poets last night. She really liked it and I'm glad that she got to experience another part of DC—as her visits normally center around trips to Foggy Bottom, the Mall, and the 'burbs. As always, B&P's food was on the mark (yummy veggie pesto lasagna!).

Yay, only 2 more hours and I can go home--or rather to a happy hour. Our office can leave at 3 today, due to the holiday and recess. I know that things will be crazy again next week, so I will relish the few extra hours away from work.

Happy Fourth of July to everyone! Please don't drink & drive or drink & start shooting guns/fireworks!

No comments: