10.13.2006

A brief history of my eco beliefs

Thanks to my fourth grade teacher, Mrs. Standford, I started checking out library books on climate change and writing my representatives at a young age.

My passion for environmental issues intensified in high school only to cool off in college. There, I was introduced to the complex economic, political, psychological, and cultural barriers to environmental preservation. Like many of my peers, I graduated college pretty jaded and skeptical that any real, lasting solutions to our environmental problems would ever be enacted.

Fortunately, in grad school, I was given hope, a solution: the “paradigm shift.” I believe that a “paradigm shift” (a.k.a. “transformational change”) has the power to solve many of our environmental and social problems through curing their ultimate cause: how we conceptualize man, nature and man-nature/man-man relationships.

Don’t worry, I haven’t joined a cult. This stuff is real and discussed in academia and on the streets. It just may be the “silver bullet.”

No comments: