10.11.2006

Who Cares If I’m An Oreo?

“Oreo,” “Coconut,” “Banana.” Those are words often used to describe people who don’t act the way they should.

In high school, I was called an “Oreo,” a Black person who acts White. It bothered me. How could I be an “Oreo” if I was just being myself—a reflection of my Black family and my multicultural group of friends? What does it mean to be an “Oreo”? And, most importantly, should I even care?

It took a while for me to accept my “Oreo-ness” and reject such petty high school labeling. It doesn’t matter that I talk a certain way and listen to certain kinds of music. No one cares if I have a lot of White friends. And if they did, I shouldn’t be hanging out with them anyway.

What truly matters is my opinion of myself, and I like my “Oreo”-self...dipped in milk.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's the solution. You should just get it over with and get drafted.

Anonymous said...

Oreo is perfect ... world would so boring if everything was black or white and not grey ... congrats for your oreo-ness ;)