10.22.2006

Don’t expect too much from “Marie Antoinette”

I saw “Marie Antoinette” on Friday with a friend. Although I wasn’t expecting much out of the movie, I did hope to be pleasantly surprised. But I wasn’t.

I’d characterize the movie as a mindless romp. It was truly one-dimensional and at times, I felt that Kirsten Dunst was lifeless in her portrayal. Don’t get me wrong, I loved it as a period film—I loved the costumes, sets and scenery and felt they were very well done. But the story and the acting was too simple and did not provide the more complex study of Marie Antoinette and her circle that I had hoped for. It didn’t help that the theatre was filled with high school kids talking aloud to the screen, and just plain being annoying. I’m sure that I was that annoying with my high school friends when I saw “Ever After” or “She's All That,” so I guess I shouldn’t talk.

I was a bit skeptical of the use of 1980s music in the film, but I realized, as the movie progressed, how well the soundtrack was incorporated into the scenes and how well it contributed to the tone of the movie.

My verdict: B-/C+

No comments: