10.07.2006

Major Life Events

This year, I turned 25, then my sister got married, and now my best friend/ex-boyfriend/significant other of the past six years has left D.C. He’s moving back home to Texas, leaving me quite single in the city. It is so strange to be alone after so many years of spending all my days with him, even after we broke up. But now, he’s gone and there really is no us.

I meet a friend for lunch on Friday and she joked, “Hey, now that he’s gone, you’ll have time to hang out with us.” It’s sad but true. I used to spend about 75 percent of my time with him. I neglected my friends, becoming the sort of girl I hate--one that doesn’t stand by the mantra of “chix before dix.” He was my first love and my first serious relationship. I was naïve and love struck, unable to think about anything but being with him.

Yet, if I was given the chance to do it all again, I’m sure that I would still allow our relationship to dominate my life. We had good times, and horrible ones, but he was my mentor, my rock, my best friend. Now that he’s gone--and I try to sneak back into the swing of things with my old, neglected friends--I look forward to being swept off my feet again but not losing site of my other loves.

No comments: