10.07.2006

The Hippo Speaks

Hey everyone!

I’m pretty excited about finally starting a blog. I had one freshman year but it didn’t last long. So now that I’m a few years older, I’m ready to try again.

I hope my blog will record and share with others the happenings of my life in the city. You can expect blogs about a range of subjects, though I’m pretty sure the dominant topics will include politics, environmental issues, D.C. events, and random rants typical of a Hippo on a Crusade.

I’m sure you’re wondering why I choose the name, “hippo,” for my blog. I’ve always liked hippos, especially cool bronze ones. And I have this amazing two-foot hippo stuffed animal that my ex, I’ll call him Floyd, bought me. So, I named my blog in remembrance of the great time I had as as Floyd’s “better half.”

I have a creative coworker to thank for “Salt Warfare.” He thinks I’m overly sensitive to the salt content of today’s foods. I am, and with good reason: American “over-saltification” of food sucks. I’m worried about my salt intake, given that high blood pressure runs in my family and given that I often get headaches from eating too many salty foods. When I was a kid, I ate salty foods all the time and loved it. While most kids were sneaking sweets treats and sugar cubes, I’d stuff myself with olives, bacon, chips, and even straight table salt. Now, that I’m older, I can’t seem to take as much sodium. I get a headache after a panacakes and bacon fest or after snacking on salted popcorn. It might just be psychological. Yet, too much sodium, or of any substance, can be too much. So now, I watch my sodium intake by eating a lot of “no salt added” prepared/packaged foods and drink lots of water. Here’s hoping that I’ll start warfare against sugar and bad fats so that I’ll really be on a healthier path.

Well, that’s it. I promise that I’ll write more this holiday weekend. Perhaps, I’ll finally tell you why the Hippo is on a crusade and talk about other food additives that I’ve declared war on.

Take care.

No comments: