10.08.2006

Ghosts and Art

Wow, I’m pretty impressed that I was able to pump out a bunch of entries last night. Yay, me!

Today, I went to a paranormal & art walk in my neighborhood that was followed by a quick lesson on portrait drawing. The paranormal/arts tour was entertaining if not a bit hokey. Two middle-aged women lead us on a tour of a few art galleries and neighborhood businesses while sharing stories of ghost hauntings in Maryland, Virginia and abroad.

I’m not sure if I believe in ghosts. I guess I hope that when people die, their spirit or essence remains on the earth or in the universe. Putting aside religious beliefs, it doesn’t seem plausible that an existence ends with death. So, I like to think that the essence of my ancestors remains here even after their bodies have gone back into the earth.

My hesitation with believing in good-natured/everyday ghosts and spirits is that in our dichotomist nature, there would also have to be evil spirits and ghosts—and as a person who can’t deal with horror movies about evil things (The Ring gave me nightmares for days), that doesn’t sit too well with me.

As soon as I got home from learning all about what attracts spirits (wind chimes and crystals) and how they might interact with the living (through the TV!), I took down all my wind chimes and turned on all the lights to ensure that my apartment was full of “yang” energy to keep them away. I hope it works.

No comments: