10.28.2006

Enjoyed the DAM! Fest

I went to DAM! Festival shows at the Velvet Lounge on Friday. I had a good time, though I must note that the upstairs performance area is quite small. The whole setup was about as bit as a D.C. studio apartment—you could literally reach out and touch the band at any time. The crowd of mainly twenty-somethings was reasonable most of the night, not too crowdy and not too empty.

The English Department was my favorite and they were the most polished, followed by Let's French. Let's French guitarist was so into the music. He wouldn’t keep still but keep jumping around and gyrating to the music. My favorite part was when Mr. Overactive Guitarist finally started using the tambourine (more tambourine playing next time please!). The Nunchucks were okay. The keyboarding was annoying after a while and their sound just sort of bored me after a while. We left around 1, so we didn't get to catch the last band scheduled for the night.

I was inspired at the show to become more creative and possibly use music as a form of self-expression. But I can’t play an instrument or sing, though I guess that doesn’t mean I can’t be in a band. Also, the show gave me hope that there really is good music out there these days, not just the cookie-cutter pop, R&B and rock sound that I hear on the radio that is never revolutionary enough to outshine the greats of the past.

No comments: