4.09.2008

Old Friends

Make new friends
but keep the old.
One is silver
and the other's gold.

Yesterday, I left work quite disappointed and frustrated about my Hill job search. I was headed to Banana Republic to check out a new suit, when I ran into a old friend from college. He gave me the biggest bear hug ever and instantly put me in a good mood.

I haven't seen this guy since graduation and it was so nice to talk to him. He was a good pal during freshman year and though we drifted apart as upperclassmen, we did try to regularly connect. I had the biggest crush on him when I was a freshman and I think, in his own way, he liked me to. I say, in his own way, because he came out to me when we were seniors so he liked me only a friend—though at the time, I didn't know it. When he came out to me, I was like, "yay, my first gay friend!"

I gave him my business card and I hope that he drops me a line soon. He is such a fun guy to hang around and I can only imagine what sort of stories he'll have to share whenever we finally do meet.

I love reconnecting with old friends. They remind me of my younger self, when I was more innocent, idealist, and spontaneous. I don't want to go back to being a naive and crazy 20 year old, but I do like to be reminded of who I used to be and how far I have come.

No comments: