4.14.2008

Two-week notice in; The countdown begins

Today was an normal day at work. I thought that my boss would have sent out an email to folks by now, but he hasn’t. Supposedly, the news will break tomorrow. Nevermind. I’ve already told most of my coworker-friends and they are all happy for me.

It is bittersweet to start packing up my desk and finalizing my assignments. I am mostly sad to be leaving my pet project, a website redevelopment and update plan, but I know that whoever takes my place will carry-on. That’s the thing I have to remind myself. I’m replaceable. I’m an entry level worker who has taken on more responsibility over the course of the two years, but still, all the stuff that I do can be done by an intern—or a trained monkey.

That’s one thing that makes leaving easy. I know that my department and the organization will carry on without me and also, that I’ll be just fine without them. I will miss my coworker-friends, the Lunch Bunch, but I’m sure that we’ll stay in touch long after I leave.

It is the end of an era. The end of my first full time job and the end of the transitional period from academia to the real world. It’s been fun. I’ve learned a lot and made a lot of good friends. But it’s run its course and I have bigger dreams that I want and need to fulfill right now.

Thanks to Organica for this rallying cry:

The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
The order is
Rapidly fadin'.
And the first one now
Will later be last
For the times they are a-changin'.

No comments: